What is all the fuss about Rockabilly Dresses?
If you're a fan of vintage-inspired fashion with a touch of playfulness, you'll love rockabilly dresses. At Lana-Rose fashion, we're big fans of this unique and exciting subculture that emerged in the 1950s, blending country and rock and roll music styles to create a truly one-of-a-kind aesthetic.
Rockabilly dresses are the heart and soul of the style, with a flared and dramatic look that will turn heads. Female rock and roll singers like Wanda Jackson and Brenda Lee popularised these dresses on stage, and they've been a style staple ever since.
We love how these rockabilly dresses are made from lightweight fabrics like cotton or rayon, making them incredibly comfortable and easy to move in. And the best part? They're adorned with decorative elements like lace, bows, and ruffles that add a touch of feminine flair.
Regarding patterns and designs, rockabilly dresses are all about retro themes like polka dots, cherries, and animal prints. These prints are fun, flirty, and perfect for any occasion. Whether dressing up for a night out or adding a touch of playfulness to your everyday look, rockabilly dresses are an excellent choice.
At Lana-Rose fashion, we know that rockabilly fashion experienced a revival in the 1980s, and it's still going strong today. It's a popular style among fashion enthusiasts who appreciate the era's unique aesthetic and playful designs. So, if you want to add some vintage-inspired flair to your wardrobe, stay tuned as we explore the different types of rockabilly dresses and show you how to incorporate them into your fashion game!
Rockabilly Dresses in the Movies
Certainly! Several famous movies feature rockabilly dresses and have helped to popularise the style over the years. Here are a few examples:
- Grease (1978) - This iconic musical features a mix of 1950s fashion, including rockabilly dresses. The film's female lead, Sandy, played by Olivia Newton-John, wears various colourful and playful dresses throughout the movie, including a pink polka dot dress during the "Summer Nights" song sequence.
- Cry-Baby (1990) - This John Waters film is a tribute to 1950s rockabilly culture and features a cast of characters with exaggerated rockabilly style. The film's female lead, Allison, played by Amy Locane, wears various vintage-inspired dresses, including a red polka dot halter dress and a pink full-skirted dress with a matching cardigan.
- Hairspray (2007) - Another John Waters film that celebrates 1950s culture, Hairspray features a colourful cast of characters with bold and playful fashion choices. The film's female lead, Tracy Turnblad, played by Nikki Blonsky, wears a range of rockabilly-inspired dresses, including a yellow polka dot dress with a matching cardigan and a pink and black floral dress with a full skirt.
- The Outsiders (1983) - While not strictly a rockabilly film, this adaptation of S.E. Hinton's classic novel features a cast of characters with a rebellious edge and a penchant for vintage-inspired fashion. The female characters in the film, including Cherry, played by Diane Lane, and Marcia, played by Michelle Meyrink, wear a range of rockabilly-inspired dresses, including full-skirted styles with bold prints and playful details like bows and ruffles.
These movies have had a significant impact on the popularity of rockabilly fashion, and their influence can still be seen in contemporary style today.
Rockabilly Dress Styles
Rockabilly dresses come in a variety of styles, each with its own unique characteristics and features. Here are some of the popular styles of rockabilly dresses:
- Swing Dresses - Also known as circle dresses, these dresses feature a full skirt that flares out from the waist, creating a classic 1950s silhouette. They often have a fitted bodice and can be worn with a petticoat to add volume and drama to the skirt.
- Pencil Dresses - Pencil dresses, also known as wiggle dresses, are fitted through the hips and thighs and taper in at the knee or calf. They have a sleek and sophisticated look and were popularised by Hollywood actresses in the 1950s.
- Halter Dresses - Halter dresses are characterised by their halter neckline, which ties at the back of the neck, exposing the shoulders and back. They often have a fitted bodice and a full skirt, creating a playful and flirty look.
- Shirt Dresses - Shirt dresses feature a collared neckline, button-up front, and a fitted waist. They can be worn with or without a belt and often have a full or A-line skirt.
- Rockabilly Wedding Dresses - Rockabilly wedding dresses are a modern twist on traditional wedding gowns, featuring vintage-inspired designs and bold prints. They often have full skirts, lace detailing, and playful elements like bows or floral embellishments.
Each style can be customised with different fabrics, prints, and details to create a unique and personalised look. Whether you prefer a playful and flirty look or a sleek and sophisticated style, there is a rockabilly dress to suit your taste.
Rockabilly Dress Fabrics
Rockabilly dresses often feature fabrics popular in the 1950s, as this era inspired the style. Here are some standard fabrics used in rockabilly dresses:
- Cotton is a popular choice for rockabilly dresses because it is breathable, comfortable, and easy to care for. Cotton fabrics often feature bold prints, like polka dots or florals, a rockabilly style staple.
- Satin is a shiny, smooth fabric popular in the 1950s for formal wear. Satin dresses often feature a fitted silhouette and a full skirt, creating a glamorous and sophisticated look.
- Taffeta is a crisp, lightweight fabric with a slight sheen. It was often used in the 1950s for formal wear and is still popular today for rockabilly-inspired dresses. Taffeta dresses often feature a full skirt and a fitted bodice.
- Chiffon is a lightweight, sheer fabric popular in the 1950s for summer dresses and evening wear. Chiffon dresses often feature a flowy, feminine silhouette and may be adorned with lace or other delicate embellishments.
These fabrics can be used alone or in combination with each other to create unique and stylish rockabilly dresses. The key is to choose materials that are comfortable, flattering, and reflect the playful and bold spirit of the rockabilly style.
Popular Colours & Patterns of Rockabilly Dresses
The rockabilly style is known for its bold colours and playful patterns. Here are some popular fabric colours and patterns used in rockabilly dresses:
- Polka dots are a classic pattern associated with the rockabilly style since its inception. These playful dots come in various colours, including red, white, black, and blue, and can be used on any fabric.
- Gingham is a checkered pattern that is popular in rockabilly dresses. This pattern typically features a white background with coloured checks in red, blue, or black shades.
- Floral prints are a staple of the rockabilly style and come in various colours and sizes. These prints typically feature large, bold flowers in shades like pink, red, or blue.
- Stripes are a classic pattern that can create various looks. Rockabilly dresses often feature bold, wide stripes in colours like black and white, red and white, or blue and white.
- Bright, bold colours are a hallmark of the rockabilly style. Popular colours include bright red, electric blue, hot pink, and sunny yellow. These colours can be used on any fabric and are often paired with playful patterns like polka dots or gingham.
- Leopard print is a famous animal print in rockabilly dresses. This bold and playful print is often used on accessories like shoes or handbags but can also be used on dresses for a statement-making look.
The key to creating a rockabilly dress is to choose fabrics with playful patterns and bold colours that reflect the spirit of the 1950s. Whether you opt for polka dots, gingham, or floral prints, the goal is to create a fun and flirty look that captures the essence of the rockabilly style.
Accessories for Rockabilly Dresses
Accessories are an essential part of the rockabilly style, helping to complete the vintage-inspired look. Here are some common accessories to pair with your rockabilly dress:
- Headbands and Hair Scarves are a great way to add a pop of colour or a playful pattern to your outfit. Choose a headband with a bow or a hair scarf in a bold print to complement your dress.
- Cat-Eye Sunglasses were a staple of 1950s fashion and are still popular today. They have a unique, retro shape that adds a touch of glamour to any outfit.
- Wide Belts cinch in the waist, adding definition to your silhouette. Choose a bold buckle or unique texture belt to make a statement.
- Jewellery can add a touch of sparkle and glamour to your outfit. Choose pieces with a vintage-inspired design, like pearls or chandelier earrings, to complement your rockabilly dress.
- Shoes are an essential part of any outfit, and they can make a statement in the rockabilly style. Choose shoes with a retro design, like saddle shoes or Mary Janes, to complete your look.
- Handbags can be both practical and stylish. Choose a vintage-inspired design, like a box bag or a clutch with a bold print, to complement your rockabilly dress.
By incorporating these accessories into your outfit, you can take your rockabilly dress to the next level and create a look that is uniquely yours.
Rockabilly Dresses & Rock and Roll Dancing
Rockabilly fashion drew inspiration from not only the music of the 1950s but also the dance styles that accompanied it. Rock and roll dancing was a popular pastime during this era and significantly influenced fashion.
The energetic and lively movements of rock and roll dancing required clothing that allowed for freedom of movement while being stylish. Rockabilly dresses were the perfect choice for dancers, as they provided a full and flared skirt that swayed and moved with the body. The fitted bodice and petticoats ensured the dress stayed in place while the dancer twirled and moved.
Dancers also favoured the vibrant colours and playful prints of rockabilly dresses, as they helped to create a fun and lively atmosphere on the dance floor. The skirts symbolised rock and roll culture's rebellious and carefree spirit, as they encouraged people to let loose and have fun.
Rockabilly dances continue to be a popular pastime, and the influence of rock and roll dancing can still be seen in modern fashion. Rockabilly dresses remain a favourite among dancers, providing the perfect combination of style and functionality. From swing dancing to jive, rockabilly dresses are ideal for anyone who wants to capture the spirit of rock and roll culture. So, whether you're a seasoned dancer or love the look, rockabilly dresses are a fantastic addition to any wardrobe.
What are you waiting for?
At Lana-Rose Fashion, we can't get enough rockabilly dresses! They're a fun and unique addition to any wardrobe, blending country and rock and roll music styles to create a vintage-inspired aesthetic that will turn heads. Popularised by female rock and roll singers in the 1950s and 1960s, these dresses feature full skirts, fitted bodices, and petticoats, giving them a dramatic and playful look.
One of the great things about rockabilly dresses is that they're made from lightweight fabrics like cotton or rayon, making them comfortable and easy to move in. They're adorned with decorative elements like lace, bows, and ruffles that add a touch of femininity and fun to any outfit. The designs of rockabilly dresses are inspired by retro themes like polka dots, cherries, and animal prints, which always stay in style.
Rock and roll dancing heavily influenced the fashion of the time, with rockabilly dresses being a favourite among dancers due to their functional and stylish design. Rockabilly dresses remain popular among fashion enthusiasts who appreciate the era's unique aesthetic and playful designs. They're a fantastic choice if you want to add some vintage-inspired flair to your wardrobe, with their bold prints, bright colours, and retro designs making a statement and bringing playful vibes to any outfit.
So whether you're a rock and roll fan or love the look, rockabilly dresses are a must-have for anyone looking to add unique and exciting fashion to their wardrobe. At Lana-Rose Fashion, we're here to help you find the perfect rockabilly dress to suit your style, so don't hesitate to check out our collection and embrace the fun and playful world of rockabilly fashion!